ORG Planet
Thanks for visiting ORG Planet!

Remember that your session may expire due to inactivity unless you've checked the "log me in automatically" feature.
ORG Planet
Thanks for visiting ORG Planet!

Remember that your session may expire due to inactivity unless you've checked the "log me in automatically" feature.
ORG Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Online Reality Gaming Planet

HomeHomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Book club?

Go down 
+2
Brant
derB
6 posters

How interested in a book club would you be?
very interested
Book club? I_vote_lcap21%Book club? I_vote_rcap
 21% [ 3 ]
slightly interested
Book club? I_vote_lcap43%Book club? I_vote_rcap
 43% [ 6 ]
not very interested
Book club? I_vote_lcap7%Book club? I_vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
would not join
Book club? I_vote_lcap21%Book club? I_vote_rcap
 21% [ 3 ]
depends on the literature
Book club? I_vote_lcap0%Book club? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
other (please share!)
Book club? I_vote_lcap7%Book club? I_vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage
derB
Host
Host
derB

Buffalo

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Book club?   Book club? EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 11:44 am

Hey all you book worms out there. Just casting out a line to see what kind of bite I can get on a kind of book club here at ORG Planet. I was thinking of setting up a poll for each new book, trying to highlight a variety of different genres, while trying to keep a good mix of classic and blossoming authors in the mix. Then we would set up a schedule to read the book, and discuss it at our own pace, taking care to avoid spoilers for the more casual readers. Lots of room for suggestions and input on this one, too, if you have a book you want to share I am more than welcome to share it. I also think it would be a refreshing change of pace for the boards, on top of possibly getting y'all to stop by and support your local libraries. Thumb

Mebbe.

What do ya say, you in?
Back to top Go down
Brant
Winner
Winner

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 6:12 pm

I'm interested. I love reading, usually just stick to a few genres, but it would be fun to expand to a variety of them.
Back to top Go down
Staciekins
Star Ruby
Star Ruby
Staciekins

Horse

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 9:33 pm

I'm interested. I love to read!
Back to top Go down
Kenya
Star Emerald
Star Emerald
Kenya

Tiger

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 11:57 pm

I'm interested.. I tried to talk about this before, glad other people have the same thing in mind!! Smile
Back to top Go down
derB
Host
Host
derB

Buffalo

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptyMon May 02, 2011 6:59 pm

Alright, looks like we would have a group around 3-5, maybe 8, which would be awesome.

My idea was perhaps we could all suggest a list of books, and narrow it down to a few, find out which of the potential titles we all can get/have access to, and then decide?

I think it would be a good idea to keep in mind the price of books these days, and consider books that could be found in bargain sections or are likely available at the library. Also, nothing too specialized would probably be a good way to start things off.

For example, there is a science fiction book I love called Schild's Ladder [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schild's_Ladder ], very good book, but very much steeped in complex geometry and theoretical physics. Most of the time I found myself re-reading (and it was rather slow reading) and looking stuff up, but the story was good enough that it made me want to really understand what was going on. Not so good for discussion material, though, unless those two topics are your thing. I would be hard pressed to explain anything about it because I barely get it. I was lucky to have a room mate who was taking physics and calculus classes at the time. Razz

Haha, clearly I like science-fiction, I also like adventure, mystery, some fantasy, suspense/thrillers, as well as graphic novels/comic books.

What are one of your favorite books, and what is it about? What are your favorite genres? How would you like to see the first book chosen?
Back to top Go down
Brant
Winner
Winner

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptyTue May 03, 2011 6:49 pm

A few months ago, I purchased a lot of like 100 used horror books on eBay for a really good price. My favorite book so far has been being Stephen King's It moreso for its story and portrayal of childhood than its horror. It's basically about a murderous clown that is killing children, but in it, you witness a group of children who try to deal with ordinary life while this clown is killing kids. Then years later, you see the children as adults having to re-face the same clown from their childhood.

I've never really found King to be that scary, but like his books for the other elements in them. I thought Phantoms by Dean Koontz was scariest in the set, fascinating, and I really enjoyed reading it because I had no idea what to expect. It was about a small village where hundreds of people completely vanished in a short period of time and discovering what happened to those people.

I typically read mystery and science fiction (Orson Scott Card), sometimes adventure and fantasy as well.

Oddly enough, my preference for the first book would probably be something in a genre that I don't have much experience reading since I probably would never purchase or read that book on my own and it would allow me to experience something new.
Back to top Go down
Staciekins
Star Ruby
Star Ruby
Staciekins

Horse

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 10:32 pm

I'll read pretty much anything. I love to read, that's why I got my Bachelor's in Literature! =)
Back to top Go down
Amanda Leigh
Admin
Admin
Amanda Leigh

Cat

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 10:58 pm

Brant wrote:
I thought Phantoms by Dean Koontz was scariest in the set, fascinating, and I really enjoyed reading it because I had no idea what to expect. It was about a small village where hundreds of people completely vanished in a short period of time and discovering what happened to those people.

LOVE Koontz. He is my favorite Author, and Phantoms is a great book. My favs of his are: The Bad Place, Dragon Tears, Midnight and Strangers. Boyd likes Twilight Eyes and Lightning. His books are easy to read, he captures your attention on the first page and he always draws me in. Ive read id say 95% of his books. I have 3 of his here in hardback that I havent read yet. Been sittin on my shelf. I should read them sometime.

I probably wont be joining the book club here, Aside from Koontz, Ludlum and McCammon, Im not really interested in reading other things lol Im picky. When I try to read someone else, I find that I dont like their styles of writing. McCammon has written one of my fav books ever, called Ushers Passing. Uber Creepy. Why do I like the Creepy intense books? lol Anyway.

I just thought Id post my thoughts. I hope yall have fun with this! Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/vastfanatic
derB
Host
Host
derB

Buffalo

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 10:33 am

I hope so too. Smile

Maybe I should get to setting up something more official so we can maybe see what comes of the first "meeting"?
Back to top Go down
Amanda Leigh
Admin
Admin
Amanda Leigh

Cat

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 11:07 am

I used to have a book forum, but because no one posted in it, it was removed. I can set up a new forum for yall on the board. Give me a few and yall will have one Wink
Back to top Go down
Amanda Leigh
Admin
Admin
Amanda Leigh

Cat

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 11:09 pm

OP's very own book club *tear* lol

Have fun yall!
Back to top Go down
Staciekins
Star Ruby
Star Ruby
Staciekins

Horse

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 11:22 pm

I am very excited about this. I love to read pretty much anything and everything. Actually, on facebook, I'm doing the 30 day book challenge. It's reminding me why I love to read so much! I love uber creepy books as well, Amanda, and there's no questioning why!!! GOSH, mom read Stephen King to us to put us to sleep. There was no way around loving scary, creepy books. It's in our blood!!!
Back to top Go down
Brant
Winner
Winner

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptySat May 07, 2011 10:03 am

I'm fine reading a familiar genre if that's what other people want, by the way. I still have like 30 Dean Koontz books that I haven't read yet because I was mainly trying to go through the King first, but I'd get to them eventually anyway.
Back to top Go down
derB
Host
Host
derB

Buffalo

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptySat May 07, 2011 10:21 am

I do like Koontz a lot, but never really loyally read his books. My favorites were Velocity, and the one about this kid who could not go in the sunlight, there was a dog too... Razz

Anywho, official first post and questionnaire to come (everybody should have a first post and a few questions to ask the group, so we get to know each others reading tastes, habits, etc, better). Then we can get to picking our first book!
Back to top Go down
Deetster
Winner
Winner
Deetster

Horse

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptySat May 07, 2011 10:51 am

That sounds like an interesting enough idea. I actually am not a big reader, but I've always thought it'd be something really interesting to get into, I just usually don't have the time or motivation, and the summer combined with this would give me both.

I'm a big vocabulary/word/scrabble junkie, and read news and other things online for a large portion of the day, but serious book-wise, I've really only read an amount of books cover to cover that I could could on two hands. So this would be real good for me, lol.
Back to top Go down
http://copsandrobbers1.proboards.com/index.cgi
derB
Host
Host
derB

Buffalo

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptySun May 08, 2011 10:39 am

We would love to have you Deet, you are welcome whenever you have time. Smile
Back to top Go down
Deetster
Winner
Winner
Deetster

Horse

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? EmptySun May 08, 2011 12:37 pm

could "count" is what I meant to say. Maybe reading more would be good for my online typing too. I'm smart enough, but the way I speak sometimes gets too jumbled and sloppy if I'm not paying enough attention. I'm sure people have noticed this, lmfao.
Back to top Go down
http://copsandrobbers1.proboards.com/index.cgi
Sponsored content

Book club? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book club?   Book club? Empty

Back to top Go down

Book club?
Page 1 of 1