ORG Planet
Thanks for visiting ORG Planet!

Remember that your session may expire due to inactivity unless you've checked the "log me in automatically" feature.
ORG Planet
Thanks for visiting ORG Planet!

Remember that your session may expire due to inactivity unless you've checked the "log me in automatically" feature.
ORG Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Online Reality Gaming Planet

HomeHomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Book #1

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
derB
Host
Host
derB

Buffalo

Book #1 Empty
PostSubject: Book #1   Book #1 EmptyFri May 13, 2011 4:04 pm

I figured we could start an official thread in the hopes that we get a new book picked out soon. I do have a suggestion for a book that is currently out, and I believe it is #17 on the New York Times best sellers list currently. It is available through my local library, I would recommend checking out yours if you don't wanna pony up the $15-20 this book might cost.

One Second After by William R. Forstchen. I have never read anything by this author, but the premise sounds good and I think it would be something each of us could get into.

It's a 'different timeline' kind of story, where the United States loses a major war and is sent into the dark ages, because they could not cope with the weapons the enemies had- EMP (Electromagnetic Pulses), which disable a great deal of our electronics-based infrastructure. The sotry revolves around a protagonists struggles in coping with the drastic changes that beset his life and famliy in a single moment.

From Booklist-
"In a Norman Rockwell town in North Carolina, where residents rarely lock homes, retired army colonel John Matherson teaches college, raises two daughters, and grieves the loss of his wife to cancer. When phones die and cars inexplicably stall, Grandma’s pre-computerized Edsel takes readers to a stunning scene on the car-littered interstate, on which 500 stranded strangers, some with guns, awaken John’s New Jersey street-smart instincts to get the family home and load the shotgun. Next morning, some townspeople realize that an electromagnetic pulse weapon has destroyed America’s power grid, and they proceed to set survival priorities. John’s list includes insulin for his type-one diabetic 12-year-old, candy bars, and sacks of ice. Deaths start with heart attacks and eventually escalate alarmingly. Food becomes scarce, and societal breakdown proceeds with inevitable violence; towns burn, and ex-servicemen recall “Korea in ’51” as military action by unlikely people becomes the norm in Forstchen’s sad, riveting cautionary tale, the premise of which Newt Gingrich’s foreword says is completely possible." --Whitney Scott

Whether or not we read it as a group is up to all of us, but I will likely read this one regardless, it sounds good to me. Smile
Back to top Go down
derB
Host
Host
derB

Buffalo

Book #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book #1   Book #1 EmptyFri May 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Of course, this is just a suggestion, not an ultimatum. If you guys have anything at all, let us know! Then maybe we can vote on it or something, and get out first book under way!
Back to top Go down
Brant
Winner
Winner

Book #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book #1   Book #1 EmptyFri May 13, 2011 4:41 pm

That looks really good. It's fine with me.
Back to top Go down
Staciekins
Star Ruby
Star Ruby
Staciekins

Horse

Book #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book #1   Book #1 EmptyFri May 13, 2011 11:08 pm

Rich, I'm up for it!! Sounds good!
Back to top Go down
Kenya
Star Emerald
Star Emerald
Kenya

Tiger

Book #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book #1   Book #1 EmptySun May 15, 2011 1:37 am

I could have sworn I replied to this already???? oh well.. yeah I'm fine with whatever!!! Razz Doesn't bother me either way.. always willing to try new books.. especially after not expecting to like Harry Potter and then falling in love with it.. Smile
Back to top Go down
Brant
Winner
Winner

Book #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book #1   Book #1 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 5:50 pm

How soon do you think a realistic starting point would be? I haven't had a chance to check for this book yet, but I probably should soon.
Back to top Go down
Staciekins
Star Ruby
Star Ruby
Staciekins

Horse

Book #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book #1   Book #1 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 6:25 pm

What if we started on June 1st. That would give plenty of time for everyone to get it. Also, are we gonna do a read at your own pace, or read a chapter by a deadline and then discuss? Either way is fine with me. I am looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
Kenya
Star Emerald
Star Emerald
Kenya

Tiger

Book #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book #1   Book #1 EmptySat May 21, 2011 7:27 pm

June 1st sounds like a good time to me
Back to top Go down
derB
Host
Host
derB

Buffalo

Book #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book #1   Book #1 EmptySat May 21, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks Kenya. I agree soon, we should start reading before this kinda falls into the gaping maw that is the archive of inactive threads.

I would agree with June 1. I have had the book on hold at the library for a while now, all I have to do is change it from pending to active, and it will be sent to me as soon as a copy is available. Could take a day, could take as long as a couple months. This particular book, should take no longer than a week, but I will keep you updated if something unusual happens.
Back to top Go down
Kenya
Star Emerald
Star Emerald
Kenya

Tiger

Book #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book #1   Book #1 EmptySat May 28, 2011 12:27 pm

derB - I have a question for you.. do you even want to be apart of this book club anymore? I mean I see you deleted me off of goodreads.. and I haven't seen you on aim in forever.. I'm just curious of what you are doing.. because I am pretty sure the rest of us actually want to do this.. please let us know if you are actually still in or if you are out.
Back to top Go down
derB
Host
Host
derB

Buffalo

Book #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book #1   Book #1 EmptySat May 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Honestly, I am out. I just don't care to develop the capacity to deal with the mind-boggling amounts of drama and emotional games people are playing here lately.

Sorry guys, but this is how it is. I have better things to do with my time than play emotional bargaining games.
Back to top Go down
Kenya
Star Emerald
Star Emerald
Kenya

Tiger

Book #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book #1   Book #1 EmptySat May 28, 2011 12:53 pm

That's fine derB.

Thanks for responding.

Brant and Stacie.. I'm still in if you guys are. I would like to continue and have a book club with you both. Smile
Back to top Go down
Staciekins
Star Ruby
Star Ruby
Staciekins

Horse

Book #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book #1   Book #1 EmptySat May 28, 2011 2:51 pm

I'm totally in. I hate to see you go Rich. I'm sorry some craptastic stuff has got you down! Good luck with all you do!

Kenya and Brant.. how about we all pick three books and post them here when you have them picked out. It doesn't matter what kind of books they are, but once we have them picked out, we can then pick the one that sounds the most interesting out of everyone's group... That will narrow it even more, and then we'll just try to pick from there. I'm really excited.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Book #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book #1   Book #1 Empty

Back to top Go down

Book #1
Page 1 of 1