ORG Planet
Thanks for visiting ORG Planet!

Remember that your session may expire due to inactivity unless you've checked the "log me in automatically" feature.
ORG Planet
Thanks for visiting ORG Planet!

Remember that your session may expire due to inactivity unless you've checked the "log me in automatically" feature.
ORG Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Online Reality Gaming Planet

HomeHomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Your First Apartment....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Zack
Star Ruby
Star Ruby

Snake

Your First Apartment.... Empty
PostSubject: Your First Apartment....   Your First Apartment.... EmptyThu May 17, 2012 6:43 pm

I am in the process of searching for my first apartment, and was wondering if any of you have helpful hints or tips for a first timer like myself Smile .

I was an RA during college so this will be my first time actually living in an apartment / on my own....and I'm pretty clueless. So far I have two viewings set up for tomorrow night after work (Back Bay and Fenway), and then a bunch on Saturday (North End/Beacon Hill). I'm sure I'll get the hang of it after a few places but figured I could reach out to you guys Smile

so...any advice? :D
Back to top Go down
Amanda Leigh
Admin
Admin
Amanda Leigh

Cat

PostSubject: Re: Your First Apartment....   Your First Apartment.... EmptyThu May 17, 2012 7:01 pm

I first do research online. There are lots of apartment hunting sits like rent.com etc, I first put in my price range (what I can afford) and then check the must haves like central ac, fireplace, washer dryer hook ups etc. Then I compile a list of places Id like to look at it, and I call and make apointments if necessary but most of the time, I like to just "drop in". If they are an upstanding management company they should have an apartment ready to show you.

Thats how I apartment hunt.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/vastfanatic
.Michael.
Star Sapphire
Star Sapphire
.Michael.

Rat

PostSubject: Re: Your First Apartment....   Your First Apartment.... EmptyThu May 17, 2012 7:06 pm

I agree with Mandie.

Set your standards and only view apts that match those non-negotiables. I also like to just drop in cuz u can see how organized the management is when they're in their "normal" setting.

It's easy to present yourself well when u know someone's coming. U need the real scoop!
Back to top Go down
dj
dj

PostSubject: Re: Your First Apartment....   Your First Apartment.... EmptyThu May 17, 2012 8:36 pm

Considering I've had 3 apartments in Boston, I'M A PRO.
Back to top Go down
dj
dj

PostSubject: Re: Your First Apartment....   Your First Apartment.... EmptyThu May 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Oh wait, there was no real advice in that last post of mine.

Biggest piece of advice - my time apartment hunting in Boston was filled with rude, pushy realtors and landlords who expected you to make a decision on the apartment(s) they show you in 24 hours or less...take your time in choosing a place - if they want it rented that badly, that's not good news. There's definitely the chance that the person showing you the apartment, if they don't live right there, will either be late, or won't show up. However, we did take our time in selecting and wound up with a great apartment. This might not happen to you but that's just my experience.

North End & Beacon Hill are nice, for sure, but what you pay vs. the space you get, it's absolutely awful. You can pay a whole lot less for a lot more space.

However, I know you're working downtown, and both of those are easily accessible - so if you really need that convenience, that's always a plus. I love both areas but I couldn't live in either after apartment hunting in both. That's just my preference.

Fenway is nice (like, the Fenway that is not Landsdowne/Fenway Park), but I've heard questionable things happen at night there, so it's relatively not really the best place?

I think you might like Back Bay/South End the best, Zack. That area is really great as well, it might be a little bit pricey but I think you can find some good places there.

Have you considered Cambridge/Somerville at all, like Davis/Porter? Or is that too far out of the way for you?

I'd say JP too but that might be off the beaten track.

---

As far as apartments go in general, I like to see how safe the area is, what sort of things there are to do nearby (I like to have the option to walk places), and what utilities come with the place - the more, the better, obviously. In house washer/dryer is a HUGE plus, but if you don't mind dragging your clothes to the laundromat, then that's not really a problem.

I always ask about the appliances and what kind of furnace there is (heat or electric) - for instance, I don't pay for heat, but my hot water, stove & oven are electric, so I'm paying for that.

I also ask about water pressure - try running a faucet or flushing the toilet to know that you won't get shitty water pressure.

Pests. If there's any way to know about that, that's good. Roaches & mice are inevitable in Boston, but the less the better Thumb

Also, this is my preference, but depending where you are, avoid first floor & basement units. I just feel unsafe in those.

And make sure there are at least 2 exits in the apartment, and there are both smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in the apartment - your landlord MUST provide you with those.
Back to top Go down
Niki
Star Emerald
Star Emerald
Niki

Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Your First Apartment....   Your First Apartment.... EmptyMon May 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Wow, DJ gave loads of good advice!! I've been in one apartment but it was during my last year of college and the school helped me get it, so not much experience like DJ has lol.

My cousin has an apartment in Back Bay and she says the area is nice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/XmypaperheartXX
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your First Apartment....   Your First Apartment.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Your First Apartment....
Page 1 of 1