ORG Planet
Thanks for visiting ORG Planet!

Remember that your session may expire due to inactivity unless you've checked the "log me in automatically" feature.
ORG Planet
Thanks for visiting ORG Planet!

Remember that your session may expire due to inactivity unless you've checked the "log me in automatically" feature.
ORG Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Online Reality Gaming Planet

HomeHomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What was your first real foray into music?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Doug
Shooting Star
Shooting Star
Doug

Dragon

What was your first real foray into music? Empty
PostSubject: What was your first real foray into music?   What was your first real foray into music? EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 1:09 pm

Like, what was the stuff you first started listening to consciously?

For example, my parents had their music that they always played -- my dad only played pre-LSD Beatles, and my mom mostly played pop and dance hits from the 90s (because, well, it was the 90s when I was growing up) -- but I still remember when I took my own interest and started listening to music (maybe because I wasn't allowed to really own my own music.

But anyway, my very first conscious attempt at music was this really ridiculous mixed CD I made with the assistance of the old Napster. It had really random stuff on it like Nelly, Brandy, Puddle of Mudd, Smashmouth, and other things that just made absolutely NO sense together, lol. I wish I still had that CD. That woulda been awesome.

That was eighth grade at the very end of the year. I managed to also acquire some staple CDs of the time like Eiffel 65's Europop and Smashmouth's Astrolounge, along with a Totally Hits 2001 CD (which was a year old at the time I got it, LOL).

So I get to high school, make a really good friend within a week (he kinda stalked me -- anyone here remember Colossus from the X-Men game?), and I go to house one day and we listen to the entire "Mark, Tom, and Travis Show" album (blink-182 live album, pre-TOYPAJ). A few days later, I buy Take Off Your Pants and Jacket from the local buy/sell/trade place, and that's where it all began. It's the first thing I realized I really had to myself, away from my parents (all of my tracks for my mixed CD were edited). From there, I bought the rest of the blink-182 discography (self-titled actually came out that year or the next), moved on to other pop punk staples of the time like Sum 41 (got that whole discog quick), Green Day (International Superhits is still by far my favorite Greatest Hits album in my library), Bowling for Soup (not so much a staple, but one of my favorite goofy favorites), and stuff like that.

It's funny, considering my first foray into music was pop punk, that my current adventures in music involve furthering my knowledge of Hip-Hop, "indie" stuff, super pop, and even a bit of country. I love myooseek.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/profile.php?ref=name&
MoMo
MoMo

Pig

PostSubject: Re: What was your first real foray into music?   What was your first real foray into music? EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 2:02 pm

I was force fed Paul McCartney (specifically, though of course that included the Beatles, but also Wings and it was specifically for him), Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan growing up...and I liked all of that a lot, probably because it's all I knew...but specifically I developed a fascination for Linda McCartney's music. I think that is where it all started for me...something so terrible that it's bunches of fun.

Just...really...listen to this...I used to 'perform' this at family functions...

Great fucking American accent Linda. Shit. After she died they released all her music in one compilation. I bought it, it's one of my favorite CDs...though I never listen to it because I know better, because, yes, they are ALL like this. That is my favorite one though. Shit. On the wide prarieeeeeeeeeeeeeee and we roooooooooooooode the wide prarieeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

But that was the first thing that I really hooked into on my own, but it was derivative of the music forced upon me as a child. And I was of course still a child. My aunt made me a mix tape when I was really young and I begged her to put "Oriental Night Fish" on it (another Linda song, it was my favorite at the time...it's less retarded and more...on drugs) but she couldn't put it on for some reason, so she just sang it onto the tape...I wish I still had that.

But yeah...can I also just say the first thing you listened on your own being from Napster makes me feel old, HAHAHA!!! I was buying cassettes. Well I guess the first thing I really got into on my own was on CD. The first CD I ever owned was Weezer, but that was because my cousin John had gotten it for Christmas and I think I wanted to be 'cool' like he was or something. I bought every CD that he owned. Weezer, R.E.M. (Monster), Soundgarden (the Black Hole Sun one), Green Day (Dookie), and something else I can't remember. So none of those really count I don't think. And something that came from Weezer was The Rentals which I liked infinitely more, that was in Junior High but I still feel like that doesn't count because it's kind of like the Linda thing.

I know, the first CD that I would say I ever bought, being because I heard it on the radio and was like "I like that" was No Doubt, Tragic Kingdom. And I listened the shit out of that. Then I got the soundtrack to The Craft and out of that was obsessed with Letters To Cleo and I bought all their albums, eventually got all of No Doubt's albums too. And I really got into Sheryl Crow, God knows why (not that she's bad, it's just...how many 14 year olds were like "Oh man, that Sheryl Crow, she's fantastic!" out of nowhere...never heard a single song of hers but I wound up with her album and I don't know why...it wasn't a gift...hmmmmmm).

And then eventually from there I started listening to Save Ferris, Sleeper, Reel Big Fish, Bif Naked, Garbage, and Lit.......Jesus Christ......Lit......and the Offspring.......ooooh......dark times. Let's reflect on Lit for a moment....

IDIOTS AND LOOOOOOOOOLS

PAM'S ASS LOOOOOOOOOOOOLS

TITAN A.E. LOOOOOOLS

I know all the words to every Lit song off that fucking album....they're filed away somewhere in my brain in an area segregated for embarrassment. I would totally still do AJ Popoff though...damn.

CLOSE US OUT LINDA!!!

Back to top Go down
Niki
Star Emerald
Star Emerald
Niki

Dragon

PostSubject: Re: What was your first real foray into music?   What was your first real foray into music? EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 9:40 am

My music history is soo crazy!!

Elementary school- Aerosmith, Green Day, Blink 182, Nickelback. HATED Hanson & Spice Girls.

6th grade- Britney, N Sync, 98 Degrees. Stuff like that.
7th grade- same as 6th plus more random radio pop like Nelly and Mya and stuff.
8th grade- Aaron Carter. I was obsessed. I no longer liked Britney, N Sync and the likes. Still like random female singers though.

9th grade- I loved Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken, and I became into Eminem a lot and random rap.
10th grade- hip hop and same as 9th.
11th grade- I was done with rap. Liked random idol stuff, got back into Green Day and all that.. The All-American Rejects, etc..
12 grade- see 11th grade^

College- some of my 11th/12th grade stuff and lots of pop-punk and alternative stuff IE New Found Glory, Taking Back Sunday, etc.. for a while I wrote off all pop but now I like some again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/XmypaperheartXX
Doug
Shooting Star
Shooting Star
Doug

Dragon

PostSubject: Re: What was your first real foray into music?   What was your first real foray into music? EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 9:44 am

NIKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<3 <3 <3
Back to top Go down
Niki
Star Emerald
Star Emerald
Niki

Dragon

PostSubject: Re: What was your first real foray into music?   What was your first real foray into music? EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 10:10 am

Willy Wonka wrote:
NIKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<3 <3 <3

This is Doug, right? Everyone's SNs are different. And I haven't seen Mandie's SN either. =/
Back to top Go down
Doug
Shooting Star
Shooting Star
Doug

Dragon

PostSubject: Re: What was your first real foray into music?   What was your first real foray into music? EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 10:13 am

Oh, yes, sorry. I forgot to mention that Smile It's my username for OPS4: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory Wink
Back to top Go down
Niki
Star Emerald
Star Emerald
Niki

Dragon

PostSubject: Re: What was your first real foray into music?   What was your first real foray into music? EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 10:22 am

Willy Wonka wrote:
Oh, yes, sorry. I forgot to mention that Smile It's my username for OPS4: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory Wink

ooh awesome Smile i recognize momo and jess too.
Back to top Go down
Virtuanno
Star Sapphire
Star Sapphire
Virtuanno

PostSubject: Re: What was your first real foray into music?   What was your first real foray into music? EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 2:48 am

Doug wrote:
For example, my parents had their music that they always played -- my dad only played pre-LSD Beatles

Do you mean that your dad played the Beatles music before the drugs, or the music before Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?

I loved the Beatles and Queen when I was young. I don't remember a lot of other music that I listened to, but I did listen to whatever was in the Top 50 in '04. I started taking piano lessons when I was young, so I started listening to the music I was playing I guess...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What was your first real foray into music?   What was your first real foray into music? Empty

Back to top Go down

What was your first real foray into music?
Page 1 of 1